What is the MONAD System?
The MONAD System is a generic RPG system focused on interpretation, narration and resource management. Nostalgia: The Nomad Fleet – the first official setting, scheduled for a 2017 release – will use the MONAD System.
While the MONAD System was created to tackle some particular elements of Nostalgia‘s setting, the rules are adaptable to a wide range of other settings, including other science fiction universes, fantasy worlds, cosmic horror campaigns, and more.
The MONAD System was explicitly designed to serve experienced GMs and players who possess a passion for complex, multifaceted characters.
An English translation of the system will be available in 2018.
Reasons to give it a go
- Deep mechanics, yet easy to explain: core mechanics can be explained to players within minutes, but the system offers depth for more demanding players.
- The system encourages roleplay linking advancements to the character's objectives, ties, convictions, and stances.
- Combat is deadly, cinematic and brutal: not a formality, but a calculated risk.
- Choices and strategy matter and wise resource management is key. Knowing when to risk and when to play it safe is part of the game.
- Tests can be overcome in three different and complementary ways: being the character, managing resources or rolling dice.
- Encourages co-creation: a deep Backgrounds system allows the creation of history-rich characters with immediate impact on the story. REM Cards also offer players the opportunity to surprise the GM and rewrite some parts of the story outside of the general narrative.
- Roles are flexible: everybody can learn to do everything, with some practical restrictions based on archetypes, story, and setting.
- A betting system keeps players on their toes while they watch the most crucial events unfold.
Developed with Creative Commons
The MONAD System will be released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC-BY-NC-SA).
Free and commercial expansions or adventures can be published without any additional license or permission. Core rules can be included in a commercial project with a license.
Available for commercial projects
If you like the MONAD System and intend to include the core rules (or a variation of them) in a commercial project, including any sort of game that ends ups on Kickstarter, IndieGoGo, or other crowdfunding platform, we need to work out a licensing deal.
We promise to be extremely reasonable especially if you're an indie developer. Get in touch for more details.
The first official Italian release will see the light of day around Q3 2017. An English translation will follow in 2018.